5 Tips to Prepare Your Home For Sale
Tips to maximize the value
of your home when you are ready to sell
Many buyers today want move-in-ready homes and will quickly eliminate an otherwise great home by focusing on a few visible flaws.
Here are some smart options for casting your home in its best light.
1. Have a Home Inspection: Be proactive by arranging for a pre-sale home inspection. For a few hundred dollars (depending on the square footage, number of stories, etc), an inspector will help you identify issues that could make potential buyers balk. I advise my sellers to perform a home and pest inspection and to fix safety related problems before putting their property on the market.
2. Make Minor Repairs: Not every repair costs a bundle. Fix as many small problems as you can such as sticky doors, torn screens, cracked caulking, dripping faucets. These may seem trivial but they will give buyers the impression your house isn’t well maintained.
3. Get Replacement Estimates: If your home inspection uncovers necessary repairs you can’t fund or you are not willing to do, get estimates for the work. The amount will help buyers determine if they can afford the home and the repairs. Also hunt down warranties, guarantees, and user manuals for your furnace, washer and dryer, dishwasher, and any other items you expect to remain with the house.
4. Clear the Clutter: Clear your kitchen counters of just about everything. Clean your closets by packing up out-of-season clothes. If needed, put large furniture in storage. Pack up family photos, knickknacks, and wall hangings to depersonalize your home. Store the items you’ve packed offsite or in boxes neatly arranged in your garage or basement.
5. Do a Thorough Cleaning: A clean house makes a strong first impression that your home has been well cared for. Wash windows and leave them open to air out your rooms. Clean carpeting and drapes to eliminate cooking odors. Wash light fixtures and baseboards, wax floors, and give your stove and refrigerator a thorough once-over. Pay attention to details too, e.g. wash fingerprints from light switch plates. Don’t forget to clean your garage as well.
Once your home is ready, lay back, enjoy the show and let your agent take over! For additional tips, do not forget to check my video about Common Mistakes to Avoid When Selling a Home in a Seller's Market on YouTube.